Friday, December 22, 2006

In A Knitting Haze (Mary Poppins Version)

Excuse me in advance, I'm writing this post in a knitting haze. Unfortunately it's the bad knitting haze, not the good one. While I'm waiting for the big spurt of energy to hit me to rip back my Seamless Saddle Shoulder sweater, I've been trying to start a hat. But the same attention required for ripping back is needed with this cast on. One day I will learn Sean's method of long tail cast on requiring no estimation. So now let's try and break through the haze.

The Sweater:

So far I've accomplished:

- The Rocking hem. A beautiful masterpiece of purple/red hem hidden beneath the Coast Grey color of Swish Superwash from Knitpicks. The hem technique is great and made especially easy with the Knitpicks interchangable needles. Doing the hem inspired my first use of a provisional cast on (the crochet method), first time undoing said cast on, and making a hem of any sort. The people who've seen this part so far have enjoyed this color combination. For those searching KnitPicks, look for Swish Superwash in the Coast Grey and Bordeaux. One word of advice though. When doing a hem, do not watch Mary Poppins. Suddenly you'll find yourself singing

"A spoonful of sugar helps the hem come together, the hem come together, the hem come together."

- A Body and Sleeves. I proved it to myself that I have the knitting stamina required for long periods of garment construction. Granted there was no shaping needed except for some m1s on the sleeves but I always doubted that I could do that. Of course Sean never did and once again he's right! But I knew the challenging part was coming ahead. Luckily I had Julie Andrews at my side again.

"When the hem's done and the sleeve's right, when the body's done, I simply remember my favorite knits and then I don't feel so bad"

- Saddle Decreasing. Right before you start the saddles, you do this wonderful decreasing that looks like pearls that just jumped out of an oyster. Small, detailed, but gorgeous when in smooth alignment. To me, this was the most fun I've had with knitting in a while. By a while though I mean since the hem, the sleeves, and the body. This whole project has been a wonderful time.

"Oh it's a jolly holiday with k2togs. No wonder that it's decreases that we love"

Then everything fell apart. Big gaping holes due to the SSKs, more gaping holes due to no W&Ts on the neck, wrong size needles, and revelation that you can be so close but have to start all over again.

"Sad saddle shoulder, sad saddle shoulder, sad shoulder-y,
a weeping is me, a weeping much to see"

But then I remember it's knitting and I can rip it back. If Justin Timberlake can bringing SexyBack, I can bring RippingBack.

And now it really doesn't feel that bad.

No comments: